Michael, I have to take issue with you there. Norbeth Winkfartle, the
13th Century German etymologist and wood shavings reconstructionalist
quotes this verse by Gertrude Nqzthmmprtzzfjp, the unpronounceable
acupuncturist and chronicler to the court of King Stupid the Peddler
dated 11th century -

Wan thet croompit with his talleth phoon
Be set with tea and a pinke tromboone

Not only an earlier mention of tea and crumpets but also the first ever
reference to the telephone.

Hope this clears it up.

Roger

 ---The phrase "tea and crumpets" was I believe, first
mentioned in the ancient Book of Crump back in the
12th century by the sage and onion gatherer poet
WIlhem de Marmalude. IN a strange dialect only known
to himself and few followers he thus describes his
first meeting with FHartley Forfesters- the Treacle
bearer.
       " Doush thou be lumpit,
         Me olde dear crump
         It maketh me slump