In the list of the following I have not met a single one. None of them have met me and it is highly unlikely that any of us shall ever meet each other and that has always been a perfectly OK arrangement by me. ben vautier, emmett williams, ay-o, jean dupuy, philip corner, yoko ono, nam june paik, takako saito, serge III, ken friedman, dick higgins, alison knowles, yoshi wada, geoff hendricks,
larry miller, george brecht, etc, etc, etc.

I have never met Picasso, Duchamp, Leonardo or any of the old time cave painters or mayan scribes or rumi except occasionally in a dream now and again but I still know their work and I believe in a trans-temporal, trans-cultural, and trans corporal dialog. I don't believe people need to ever meet each other in person in order to converse with each other and consider each other's work and adopt what one thinks is important from each other. That is why we paint and write things down and keep records and photographs and documents of things. I think while a personal network is important for kicking around ideas for something like the current trajectory of what I will call the fluxnexus - which starts way before fluxus proper and continues far into the future from here moving out of mail networks into internet ones and beyond - we seem to be perfectly happy interacting with each other remotely and I think that is a great thing.

Since this is the case, I have to wonder what we are doing holding together
this network of aquantences that we have here on the list if it is not to keep
a lot of these ideas from the fluxus vain alive and evolving. If this is the
case and we are not willing to call ourselves fluxus artist then I say we
should agree among ourselves to reconfigure the whole thing, call it a new name
and start having so fun. This would call for throwing out the baby and the
bathwater and possible keeping the bath tub itself as some sort of place to put
ice and beer.

Now let's conjecture that we do this among ourselves (I say as the fluxnexus)
Then we should start to come up with some new rules of engagement that we
invent as we go along and otherwise come up with a protocal of how to interact
with fluxus works as in having fluxevenings, or reproducing things we like from
the old stuff, make new and improved versions of everything under the new name,
make it our own (what we want of it) and carry it with us to the future if
viable.

I think that id fluxus as an art form is invilved with adopting scientific
mehods as a modus operandi then we should go back through and rething
everything, conduct experiments and decided what is viable for the future what
was just the fashion of the moment. then we will have a start on something new
and fun and worth the bother.

I don't think that the people on this list are merely a bunch of would be
fluxus collectors who are trying to figure out how to trade old flux junk among
ourselves. It seems to me that most people are artists on this list and if that
is so, what the hell are we doing if we are not redifining this old shit and
making it work for us if we truely feel a strong affinity for it. If that is
the case we need to work together and do something more cool that what has been
happening so far.

Coming back to your question allan WHAT IS FLUXUS? I think we need to ask
what's going to be fluxus (or fluxnexus) and start constructing our network of
cooperative work.

Meanwhile I am planning on a big blowout here in cuernavaca during october and
november. Everyone is welcome to come down for some bar-b-que and beer (also
mexican food, red wine and jack danials).

Cecil Touchon
http://fluxnexus.com

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

i read all three bits!

a lull in my ADD or something else?

i learned something

allan = 48

alan = 38

therefore l = 10

tadaaaaa!!!!

perhaps......

anyway, thanks cecil for the full text and allan for your take on it.  it's a
very interesting area indeed.

however, (oh mercy, here he goes agaian..!),

i still think that it is important that we define fluxus 'now'.  i am not a
fluxus artist but i learned this the difficult way.  i don't wish to be a
fluxus artist, but i do wish to be considered as one who works in a way which
can be likened to that thing called fluxus.  i no longer feel the need to want
to be associated with Fluxus, which i once did.
i have had the great fortune to hang out with ay-o, emmett, alison, ben etc.  i
don't KNOW them, they're not my friends - i know i have the respect of at least
ay-o and emmett because of time we have spent NOT talking about fluxus (short
times!), the times we spent drinking red wine, the times i helped emmett cross
roads in new york, the times ay-o went for coffee and always brought me a
cookie!  those time are so very special to me, and i namedrop blatantly here
and proudly for someone who usually cannot tolerate such a thing.
but the fact is that because of the time spent in fluxcompany i   came to
realise that i was not a fluxus artist, my work is not fluxus. it is heavily
inspired by and borrows from 'fluxus' pieces, it has been criticised and
praised by 'Fluxus' artists.  but it is not fluxus.

try to imagine being in a room with ben vautier, emmett williams, ay-o, jean
dupuy, philip corner, yoko ono, nam june paik, takako saito, serge III, ken
friedman, dick higgins, alison knowles, yoshi wada, geoff hendricks,larry
miller, george brecht, etc, etc, etc.
work out from there what fluxus is! and then look at your on work - what's the
criteria?

i still think we have to work on defining/redefining fluxus, at least to get a
Fluxlist definition of Fluxus.

pain i know! but noone ever gets back on this. you can't all be searching to be a bit 'fluxus' for the cool factor. that much is very obvious -

what is fluxus????

Oh Odin's Underpants its a B(owman)LOG http://bowmansramblings.blogspot.com/