Since some of these questions are off-topic in [foldingboats], I give just
some short answers. For general questions on Pouch boats, please send a
private email to me, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (or to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]).

If nobody objects, I'd propose that questions on repairing foldables and on
materials are on-topic on this boat builder list.

> On the 'ladder' or extensible floor of the boat, the words 'RZ85' and
> 'Veb FAVORIT Taudia' are printed.  Does this give you any information
> about the year the boat was made?  I'm just trying to figure out exactly
> how old it is.
It could be anything from 1956 to 1989. I'll send you a list of details for
several versions and their building dates off-list. BTW: it was "VEB
Favorit Taucha" - a conglomerat of several companies producing outdoor
stuff.

> Also, what kind of wood was used for the longerons, and other long
> pieces.  There are a couple of cracks, and I'd like to replace the
> compromised wood with something new, preferably with wood of the same
> type.
It is ash.

> Do you know what the hull skin is made from (I assume some kind of PVC)?
> I need to patch a small cut, and was wondering what the best
> method/adhesive would be to do that.  The boat came with a small sheet of
> patching material, but no glue of any kind.
I think we had this type of discussion here (search the archive at
http://www.mail-archive.com/foldingboats@pouchboats.com/index.html). The
hull is PVC and you want to use a glue for *soft* PVC. Hard-PVC-glue will
cure to a solid piece, thus compromising the behavior of your (flexible)
skin. Alternatively, you could weld the patch to the hull (a hot knive,
heated with a camping stove and shortly held between patch and skin, will
do). Several people have reported good results on that method, while others
said the connection between patch and skin is not sufficient (the latter is
true mainly on skins older than 30 years).

> I was also planning to add keel strips to the hull.  Any advice on this
> (materials/adhesives)?

Here, I'd glue only. Try to get some thick PVC, cut it to the right size
and length and glue it to the hull, working in small steps. It  should be
better to do it on the skinned boat so that you can apply more force to it.
A wallpaper rolling device (narrow, soft rubber) is good for the job.

Marian

Marian Gunkel
Rostock, Germany
 http://www.mariangunkel.de