This is not entirely true.  Basile Starynkévitch has written GNU MELT [1] as
a way to circumvent "hard to work with" internal representation of GCC by
letting you create GCC plug-ins in a Lisp dialect.  This basically
side-steps the traditional political blockade set-up by RMS.  It is very
clever, and starting to mature; Basile has fixed a number of issues in how
he generates C code.

I'm not sure about Gerry Jensen's idea, e.g. how much effort, whether it is
worth the effort, etc.

Creating a VM for legacy code is also difficult, since it will run rather
slow unless you are a really good implementor (for example, the Hercules VM
[2] for simulating IBM mainframes is rather slow last I checked due to how
it has to intercept and translate instructions into the native
architecture).

[1] http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/MiddleEndLispTranslator
[2] http://www.hercules-390.org/