(pardon this thread's continued existence...).

well, each generation has to have come from somewhere...

but, yeah (prior to the big ethics issue), the general point I tried to make is that it is generally much more a matter of pragmatics (what people can get from technology or use it to accomplish), rather than peoples' feelings about technology per-se.

in general, I think I was being positive, since in all we see a lot more benefit than harm in this world, and probably, as a whole, the world is better now than it once was.

now, whether a person wants to view things like posessions as a form of transferrable happiness, or conclude that maybe, happiness doesn't actually exist in the first place (and is thus likely an irrelevant consideration in matters of technology), this is up to them...

like, maybe, it really doesn't matter if a person is happy or not?...

either way, they still have their job and any life stuff that needs to be done. technology can at least help a person get done those things they want or need to get done, regardless of whether or not the object has any real beneficial effect on their mood.

hell, maybe even the net emotional effect is good, as people who otherwise might be sitting off in the corner somewhere in isolation, being all depressed and similar due to their lack of friends (and awaiting the day when their life will end, maybe wondering if "life" even really exists in the first place, or if it is merely some pattern of emergence due to so many particle interations simply masquerading as some greater order, ...), can now find some semblance of a social life posting about how depressed they are and how dismal and hopeless life is and whatever onto online forums, and then go and distract themselves by racking up kills in online games (like Counter Strike or Unreal Tournament or similar...).

so, in this sense, "happiness" flows over wires and is emitted from computer and TV screens...

or such...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Dekorte" <st...@dekorte.com>