Steve,

Something pointed out to me by Microsoft Silverlight -and- Expression Blend
architect John Gossman [1] is that eventually these issues get resolved, but
the process is pretty ugly.  He linked this book as a reference point
http://www.amazon.com/Strangest-Man-Quantum-Genius-Farmelo/dp/0571222781
One of Alan's goals is figuring out how we can compress the timespan for
going through this process; read the NSF stuff about "from nothing"
bootstrapping as an example.

[1] John is widely respected inside Redmond, because he is so good at taking
complex formulations of ideas and distilling them down into simple
formalisms.