Casey,

> Has anyone taken the actor model down to the metal?

I studied this in detail back in 1990 and had several references. These
are physically hard for me to reach right now and probably are not easy
to find on the web.

Though not an actor model, you might find my "RNA" idea of objects and
messages at the transistor level interesting:

http://www.merlintec.com:8080/hardware/19

This text is mostly just a note to myself and probably doesn't make much
sense to other people. An animation of the idea, however, would probably
be easily understood even by children (and probably more easily by
biologists than computer "scientists", hence the forced acronym from
Ring Network Architecture). I plan to work on this next year.

-- Jecel