On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 2:20 PM, David Barbour <dmbarb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 1:07 AM, C. Scott Ananian <csc...@laptop.org> wrote:
>> SELF did not have specialized bytecodes for these.  See
>> http://selflanguage.org/documentation/published/implementation.html
>>  --scott
>
> Why is this relevant? The opening question was about Squeak.

The self system included a full implementation of Smalltalk.

Look, this isn't really a big deal.  Squeak makes some architectural
choices.  We're discussing alternatives.  It's certainly possible for
Squeak to have used a different compilation strategy for constants.
You could start with the architecture of SELF, for example, and make
the tradeoff that you have a lot of "native methods" but gain the
advantage of very few specialized bytecodes.  You may prefer to have
more specialized bytecodes and fewer "native methods", or some other
point in the design space.  There's no right or wrong here.  I'm just
puzzled why you seem to be insisting that no other alternative to
Squeak's design is possible, when there are multiple existing systems
which demonstrate the opposite.

I've been continuing the discussion because it's been a nice
opportunity to tip my hat to a lot of other people's excellent and
interesting systems work, but I think it's time this thread ended now.
  --scott

--
      ( http://cscott.net )