On 20/06/2011, at 4:33 PM, BGB wrote:

>> For example, when web programming on a specific web app, I use a web
>> browser, a text editor, a database management program, a command line, and a
>> couple other tools. It'd be nice to be able to "fit these tools together"
>> into a pseudo-app and then build "documents" for this pseudo-app... that
>> were accessible within the pseudo-app (ie not the file system) to use
>> Apple's idea, and that could simply do all the things I generally need to
>> do... (there are only a few "tasks" I generally do and none of them
>> correlate directly into any one particular application).
>>
>> I love the way I edit text in my one particular text editor. Why do I have
>> to use a different editor to edit my email text? lol... it makes little
>> sense.
>
> well, mostly I am using Windows Explorer and the shell (both CMD and Bash)
> for managing things on Windows, and this setup works "adequately".
>
> admittedly, I am not entirely sure how the idea you are describing will work,
> so maybe it can be described in more detail? (like, what parts it may contain
> and how they may fit together...).

Perhaps you might take a look at Panic's Coda

http://www.panic.com/coda/

This is *one instance* of what I'm talking about generally... it does for most
web developers what I was describing... but I'm talking about having a more
modular approach in that you should be able to build a tool that incorporates
other things, too (for example, I might decide I want a particular
colour-picker in there, or a specific interactive language reference or API
reference, or perhaps I'd like to have some form of rudimentary image editing,
because I do that in my work).

You get me?

Julian.