On 20/06/2011, at 2:33 PM, BGB wrote:

> in a sense, the metaphor no longer works, and should likely itself be left to
> fall into the recycle-bin of history. worse yet is having to read stuff
> written by people who actually take this metaphor seriously.

Given the historical perspective, it was appropriate at the time. These days,
our computers are so vastly scaled beyond the original intention of the "file"
metaphor that it's getting silly, I'd grant you that.

It's not really any surprise, then, that Apple's trying to "get rid" of the
file system, is it? :) Mind you, I think the "app" metaphor is just as crappy,
personally. I like the idea of workflows much more, and combining a few small
simple tools together to get some particular job done.

For example, when web programming on a specific web app, I use a web browser, a
text editor, a database management program, a command line, and a couple other
tools. It'd be nice to be able to "fit these tools together" into a pseudo-app
and then build "documents" for this pseudo-app... that were accessible within
the pseudo-app (ie not the file system) to use Apple's idea, and that could
simply do all the things I generally need to do... (there are only a few
"tasks" I generally do and none of them correlate directly into any one
particular application).

I love the way I edit text in my one particular text editor. Why do I have to
use a different editor to edit my email text? lol... it makes little sense.

Julian.