On 7/17/2011 2:46 PM, David Leibs wrote:
I couldn't handle his condescending attitude towards goto statements.
I might not use them very often but when you need one there is nothing better.

generally agreed...

it is not for no reason that languages like C# still have them, despite being designed several decades after they have gone out of style.

much like ASM, there are good reasons for them to still exist, but like ASM, one should also not just rush out and use them without good reason either.

although, I didn't entirely disagree with the guy either.

the fact that there is not a lot which is new or original, nor that novelty is not necessarily a good thing, well, are not too much of a surprise there.

the thing then is then to try to strive for the best overall combination of features.

for example, despite that many older languages had many advanced features early, many of these languages are rather unbalanced as well, and generally whenever something is "novel" it may in-turn cause an imbalance which degrades the overall usability of the language.

an example was Java, which despite largely building on C and C++ syntax, made some novel design decisions, not all of which are good. C# then came along, partly undid some of these changes, and is IMO a little better of a language as a result (although, it itself has its own drawbacks, but many of these are more related to .NET in general than to C# in particular).

or such...