Am 30.08.11 22:38, schrieb Alan Kay:
> Sure. He was invited to spend a year in CSL in the mid 70s and decided
> to do an Alto like machine with an Alto-like UI and that ran Alto-like
> languages (turned out to be an odd combination of Mesa and Smalltalk).
Did you exchange some ideas? He really apreciated object orientation
when he designed his drawing program. Did you explain Smalltalk to him?
The talk makes me think about complexity of software and ability to
understand code.

I think there two sides:
a) no abstraction at all (assembly code) : complicated since simple
things are huge
b) over-use of abstraction : complicated since hard to see where the
real stuff is going on

Maybe it also has something to do with bottom up vs top down.

Cheers.
Jakob