Hi Carl

Yes, I have always felt that you got nowhere near the coverage and recognition
you deserved for PLANNER (the whole enchilada) -- to me it was a real landmark
of a set of very powerful insights and perspectives. Definitely one of the very
top gems of the late 60s!

I recall there was lots of good wine at that Pajaro Dunes meeting! (And Jeff
Rulifson helped me pull off that Beef Wellington with the three "must have"
sauces). That was also a great group. Cordell Green was there, Richard
Waldinger, Rulifson, (Bob Yates?), Bob Balzer, etc. Can you remember any of the
others? That one must have been in 1970.

And it was indeed the "second -- and sequential -- evaluator" (from the Lisp
1.5 manual) that I had in mind when I did the ST-72 eval. Another influence on
that scheme was the tiny Meta II parser-compiler that Val Shorre did at UCLA in
1963 (for an 8K byte 1401!). I loved that little system. This led to the ST-72
"eval" really being a kind of cascaded "apply" ...

And there's no question that once
you aim at "real objects" a distributed "eval" makes great sense.
Cheers,

Alan

>________________________________
> From: Carl Hewitt <hew...@concurrency.biz>
>To: Alan Kay <alan.n...@yahoo.com>
>Cc: Programming Language Design <pi...@googlegroups.com>; Dale Schumacher
><dale.schumac...@gmail.com>; The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee
>Group <fr...@redfish.com>; "computational-actors-gu...@googlegroups.com"
><computational-actors-gu...@googlegroups.com>; Fundamentals of New Computing
><fonc@vpri.org>
>Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2011 9:24 AM
>Subject: RE: [CAG] Re: [fonc] Fexpr the Ultimate Lambda
>

>Hi Alan,
>
>Yes, Smalltalk-71 had lots of potential!  Unfortunately, the way it developed
>was that Kowalski picked up a subset of micro-Planner (backward chaining only
>along with backtracking only control structure) and PROLOG was made into
>something of an ideology.  I have published a history in ArXiv titled “Middle
>History of Logic Programming: Resolution, Planner, Edinburgh LCF, Prolog, and
>the Japanese Fifth Generation Project” at
>http://arxiv.org/abs/0904.3036
>
>I have fond memories of the Beef Wellington that you prepared at one of the
>Pajaro Dunes meetings of the “DARPA Junior Over-achievers” society!  Before
>McCarthy developed his meta-circular definition, the developers of Lisp 1 took
>a similar approach to yours by developing a looped sequential program that
>mimicked their assembly language implementation.
>
>Using “eval” as a message instead of the Lisp procedure is an interesting way
>to do language extension. For example lambda notation could be added to
>ActorScript as follows:
>

><<<”lambda” “(“ id|->Identifier “)” body|->Expression>>>   ~~   eval(env) -->
>(argument) --> body.eval(Environment(id,argument, env))
>
>      where
>
>           Environment(iden, value, enviro)   ~~   lookup(iden2) -->
>iden2=iden ?~ true --> value ?? false --> enviro.lookup(iden2) ~?
>
>Cheers,
>Carl

>>> Cheers,