Dear Alan,

Am 28.02.12 14:54, schrieb Alan Kay:
> Hi Ryan
>
> Check out Smalltalk-71, which was a design to do just what you suggest
> -- it was basically an attempt to combine some of my favorite
> languages of the time -- Logo and Lisp, Carl Hewitt's Planner, Lisp
> 70, etc.
do you have a detailled documentation of Smalltalk 71 somewhere?
Something like a Smalltalk 71 for Smalltalk 80 programmers :-)
In the early history of Smalltalk you mention it as

> It was a kind of parser with object-attachment that executed tokens
directly.

>From the examples I think that "do 'expr'" is evaluating expr by using
previous "to 'ident' :arg1..:argN <body>".

As an example "do 'factorial 3'" should  evaluate to 6 considering:

to 'factorial' 0 is 1
to 'factorial' :n do 'n*factorial n-1'

What about arithmetic and precendence: What part of language was built
into the system?
- :var denote variables, whereas var denotes the instantiated value of
:var in the expr, e.g. :n vs 'n-1'
- 'xxxx' denote simple tokens (in the head) as well as expressions (in
the body)?
- to, do are keywords
- () can be used for precedence

You described evaluation as straightforward pattern-matching.
It somehow reminds me of a term rewriting system -  e.g 'hd' ('cons' :a
:b) '<-'  :c " is a structured term.
I know rewriting systems which first parse into an abstract
representation (e.g. prefix form) and transforms on the abstract syntax
- whereas in Smalltalk 71 the concrete syntax seems to be used in the rules.

Also it seems redundant to both have:
to 'hd' ('cons' :a :b) do 'a'
and
to 'hd' ('cons' :a :b) '<-'  :c  do 'a <- c'

Is this made to make sure that the left hand side of <- has to be a hd
(cons :a :b) expression?

Best,
Jakob