Hi John

The simple answer is that Tom's stuff happened in the early 80s, and I was out
of PARC working on things other than Smalltalk.

I'm trying to remember something similar that was done earlier (by someone
can't recall who, maybe at CMU) that was a good convincer that this was not a
great UI style for thinking about programming in.

An interesting side light on all this is that -- if one could avoid paralyzing
nestings in program form -- the tile based approach allows language building
and extensions *and* provides the start of a UI for doing the programming that
feels "open". Both work at Disney and the later work by Jens Moenig show that
tiles start losing their charm in a hurry if one builds nested expressions. An
interesting idea via Marvin (in his Turing Lecture) is the idea of "deferred
expressions", and these could be a way to deal with some of this. Also the
ISWIM design of Landin uses another way to defer nestings to achieve better
readability.

Cheers,

Alan

 sure how far one can go, what can be succinctly specified and how.