On 7/14/2012 5:11 PM, Iian Neill wrote:
Ivan,

I have some hope for projects like the Raspberry Pi computer, which aims to
replicate the 'homebrew' computing experience of the BBC Micro in Britain in
the 1980s. Of course, hardware is only part of the equation -- even versatile
hardware that encourages electronic tinkering -- and the languages and software
that are bundled with the Pi will be key.

yeah, hardware is one thing, software another.

Education is ultimately the answer, but what kind of education? Our computer
science education is itself a product of our preconceptions of the field of
computing, and to some degree fails to bridge the divide between the highly skilled
technocratic elite and the personal computer consumer. The history of home
computing in the Eighties shows the power of cheap hardware and practically 'bare
metal' systems that are conceptually graspable. And I suspect the fact that BASIC
was an interpreted language had a lot to do with fostering experimentation &
play.

maybe it would help if education people would stop thinking that CS is some sort of extension of Calculus or something... (and stop assigning scary-level math classes as required for CS majors). this doesn't really help for someone whose traditional math skills sort of run dry much past the level of algebra (and who finds things like set-theory to not really make any sense, where these classes like to use it like gravy they put on everything... class about SQL, yes, your set theory is mentioned their as well, and put up on the board, but at least for that class, was almost never mentioned again once the actual SQL part got going, and the teacher made his way past the select statement).

along with "programming" classes which might leave a person for the first few semesters using pointy-clicky graphical things, and drawing flowcharts in Visio or similar (and/or writing out "desk checks" on paper).

now, how might it be better taught in schools?...
I don't know.

maybe something that up front goes into the basic syntax and behavior of the language, then has people go write stuff, and is likewise maybe taught starting earlier.

for example, I started learning programming in elementary school (on my own), and others could probably do likewise.

classes could maybe teach from a similar basis: like, here is the language, and here is what you can type to start making stuff happen, ... (with no flowcharting, desk-checks, or set-notation, anywhere to be seen...).

the rest then is basically "climbing up the tower" and learning about various stuff...
like, say, if there were a semester-long class for the OpenGL API, ...

Imagine if some variant of Logo had been built in, that allowed access to the
machine code subroutines in the way BASIC did...

could be nifty.
I don't really think the problem is as much about language though, as much as it is about disinterest + perceived difficulty + lack of sensible education strategies + ...

Regards,
Iian

Sent from my iPhone