Wow, automatic spelling correctors suck, especially early in the morning ....

The only really good -- and reasonably accurate -- book about the history of
Lick, ARPA-IPTO (no "D", that is when things went bad), and Xerox PARC is
"Dream Machines" by Mitchell Waldrop.

Cheers,

Alan

>________________________________

 computers would be balanced, and the cost of the gigantic memories and the
sophisticated programs would be divided by the number of users./

>>-  J.C.R. Licklider, Man-Computer Symbiosis
>><http://memex.org/licklider.html>, 1960.
>>
>>- perhaps the earliest conception of the Internet:
>>In a 1963 memo to "Members and Affiliates of the Intergalactic Computer
>>Network," Licklider theorized that a computer network could help researchers
>>share information and even enable people with common interests to interact
>>online.
>>(http://web.archive.org/web/20071224090235/http://www.today.ucla.edu/1999/990928looking.html)
>>
>>Outside the community he kept a very low profile. One of the greats.
>>
>>Miles Fidelman
>>
>>-- In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
>>In practice, there is.   .... Yogi
 Berra