On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Martin McClure <
martin.mccl...@gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> 1) Have a single central authority that hands out identifiers.
>
> The central authority model works in some scenarios, but for widely
> distributed systems the reliability problems (the central authority may
> be down or unreachable) or scalability problems make it unworkable.

Creating unique IDs can scale quite well with a central authority. You
simply have the central authority hand out the first few bits of the
identity (e.g. a domain name), then the owner of the domain becomes an
authority for how the next few bits are distributed (e.g. the subdomains),
and so on. This 'splitting' technique can go to an arbitrary depth but
since it is exponential - and potentially very flat - it rarely needs to be
deep.

The main point against central authority is the desire to avoid placing
oneself under another authority. I like the idea of marginalizing DNS,
switching to a Chord/DHT based lookup model using a randomly generated
large public key (or a signed secure hash thereof) as the identity for each
machine.