I believe such code can be tested in practice with great confidence.
If I would test such kind of code, I would replace the SHA256 code with a rogue
version that emits equal hashes for certain bit patterns.

As a side note, I also don't trust my macbook's 16 gig of internal computer
memory - there is a (rather big) chance that bit-errors will silently corrupt
state.
Even EEC memory suffers that fate (but of course with a much lower chance).

It is impossible to build a system that achieves 100% data correctness: SHA256
will do fine for now.