Here goes, distilled from 
http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/pdfs/tn/5094.CJK_CID.pdf

H: JIS X 0208-1983, ISO-2022-JP encoding
V: vertical version of H (applies to all following [HV] pairs as well)
78-[HV]: JIS C 6226-1978, ISO-2022-JP
RKSJ-[HV]: JIS X 0208-1983, Shift-JIS, half-width JIS-Roman in one-byte range
78-RKSJ-[HV]: JIS C 6226-1978, Shift-JIS, half-width JIS-Roman in
  one-byte range, half-width katakana in two-byte range
EUC-[HV]: JIS X 0208-1983, EUC-JP, half-width JIS-Roman, half-width katakana
  in two-byte range
78-EUC-[HV]: JIS C 6226-1978, EUC-JP, half-width JIS-Roman, half-width
  katakana in two byte range
83pv-RKSJ-[HV]: Apple Macintosh KanjiTalk v 6.x charset, Shift-JIS,
  proportional ASCII in one-byte range
Ext-[HV]: NEC charset, ISO-2022-JP
Ext-RKSJ-[HV]: NEC charset, Shift-JIS, half-width JIS-Roman
NWP-[HV]: NEC Bungo charset, ISO-2022-JP
Add-[HV]: Fujitsu FMR charset, ISO-2022-JP
Add-RKSJ-[HV]: Fujitsu FMR, Shift-JIS, half-width JIS-Roman
Hankaku: Half-width Latin, hiragana, and katakana in one-byte range
Hiragana: Half-width hiragana in one-byte range
Katakana: Half-width katakana in one-byte range
Roman: Half-width Latin in one-byte range
WP-Symbol: Miscellaneous symbols in one-byte range
Adobe-Japan1-0: Identity CMap (ie, maps from self to self)

The Adobe-Japan1-1, Adobe-Japan1-2, Adobe-Japan1-3, and Adobe-Japan1-4
supplements add more characters.  So it seems that not all Adobe-Japan1
are equal.  I presume the set of CMaps provided by Mr. Lunde is
Supplement 4 or later.  Adobe-Japan1-1 adds 75 glyphs to support JIS X
0208-1990:

90pv-RKSJ-[HV]: Apple Macintosh KanjiTalk v 7.x charset, Shift-JIS,
  proportional ASCII in one-byte range

The other CMaps were modified to fit the new set.

Supplement 2 adds 361 glyphs and supports the Windows 3.1J charset.  This
is a combination of JIS X 0208-1997, NEC extensions, and IBM extensions.
New CMaps:

90ms-RKSJ-[HV]: Windows 3.1J and 95J charset, Shift-JIS, half-width
  JIS-Roman
90msp-RKSJ-[HV]: identical to 90ms-RKSJ but using proportional JIS-Roman
78ms-RKSJ-[HV]: identical to 90ms-RKSJ except JIS C 6226-1978 forms are used,
  half-width JIS-Roman
UniJIS-UCS2-[HV]: ISO 10646-1:1993, UCS2
UniJIS-UCS2-HW-[HV]: Same as above but with halfwidth Latin in ASCII/JIS-Roman
UniJIS-UTF8-[HV]: ISO 10646-1:1993, UTF8

Adobe-Japan1-3 adds pre-rotated instances of proportional and half-width
glyphs.  This is for improving vertical glyph handling in OpenType.  No
new CMaps, apparently, but old ones were modified.

Adobe-Japan1-4 adds *6090* glyphs!  This provides "professional and
commercial publishers with most of the glyphs that they require",
including proportional Latin, annotated glyphs, additional punctuation
and symbols, third and quarter width numerals and punctuation, horizontal
and vertically optimized kana, ruby glyphs, and kanji.  The kanji include
JIS78 variants, JIS83 variants, traditional forms, JIS X 0221-1995
Ideographic Supplement 1 (918 kanji), K-JIS, and other kanji variants.
All the UniJIS-* CMaps were modified to fit.

I *still* don't know what the UniJISPro CMaps are though.  I await Ken
Lunde's answer.  But I haven't read all the tech docs that Adobe has for
CID keyed fonts yet either.  And I haven't read on what CMaps apply for
Adobe-Japan2.

I'm going to organize all this information into a table.  Then I'll start
working on a program to grind through a CIDFont and hunt for the CMaps it
supports, then generate appropriate XLFD strings for it.  This should be
a pretty fun challenge...  (BTW, it's probably too complex to do with a
shell script, so I guess it'll have to be C.)

Maybe once I have something working I'll look at the other languages,
specifically Chinese and Korean.  But I'm focusing on Japanese right now
because it's what I'm interested in.

'james

-- 
James A. Crippen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W
Y = \f.(\x.f(xx)) (\x.f(xx))         |  |\  | Earth, Sol System,
Y(F) = F(Y(F))                        \_,-_/  Milky Way.
_______________________________________________
Fonts mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/fonts

Reply via email to