Short answer is, no, you cannot do footnote separators yet, unless I am very
much mistaken.

As far as choosing the height goes, short answer is also no. You do not have
that kind of control over the conditional regions (footnote and
before-float), according to spec. This lack of control is not related to the
current state of our code in supporting conditional sub-regions.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom