At 22:09 9-07-2001, Erik Rehrmann wrote:
>just for the case nobody is connected to the fop-user list (didn't see any
>mail since opening) I repost my question to this list.

I think I successfully subscribed to fop-user, and I didn't see this question.

>I have to know if it is possible to calculate the content of the left page
>in dependence on the contents of the right page.
>
>We have to print a book consisting of a paragraph-like left side content
>and a right side which describes the single paragraphs of the left side.
>The size of the description on the right side can have 3 lines up to 3 pages.
>And here is the problem:
>There must only as many paragraphs on the left side as can be described on
>the right side. If a description exceeds one page, the next left page has
>to be empty.
>
>Is this possible with FOP, maybe by render the right side counting the
>descriptive parts and then inserting the paragraph page before? If so, how
>has the XML file to look like?

I don't think this is a FOP issue, but rather an XSL issue.

You could do this on a double-wide page by using a two-column
table.  However, on two separate pages, the content isn't really
side-by-side - it's above and below, in the flow.  The page areas are like
a galley; the "left side page" is the page above the "right side page" -
not beside.  I don't believe there's any way in XSL to express constraints
that jump pages like that.

However, if you're going to be printing this in a professional environment,
you could probably format the project on double-wide pages (A3 or tabloid
or whatever), and then use page composition tools like the psutil package
to split things back apart.  However, if you're in that kind of
environment, you may want to handle the page-breaking manually anyway, as
there may well be other issues; XML processing instructions are perfect for
this sort of thing.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, XML Consultant