try placing an image (say foo.gif ) on the same directory as the fop.jar .
Then write a simple fo file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>
    <fo:layout-master-set>
        <fo:simple-page-master master-name="simple">
            <fo:region-body margin-top="3cm"/>
            <fo:region-before extent="1.5cm"/>
        </fo:simple-page-master>
    </fo:layout-master-set>

    <fo:page-sequence master-name="simple">
        <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
            <fo:block>
                <fo:external-graphic src="file:foo.gif"/>
            </fo:block>
        </fo:flow>
    </fo:page-sequence>
</fo:root>

Place it in the same directory and test if from the command line.
If this does not work, something is broken with the version of fop you are
using.
Most probably the path you are using should be relative to where the fop.jar
is placed ( this is what works for me, not necesary the best way to do it )

MVH
Ronald