Hi Ilkka,

Assuming that FOP implemented the background properties:
background-image, background-position-vertical,
background-position-horizontal, could you do what you needed to? These
can be specified on all the regions. As far as I can see, there is no
explicit limitation on the position being within the actual region area,
so presumably by using a negative value for position, you could make the
background "bleed" outside the body region. It seems like you should at
least be able to do the line in the column gutter.

Regards,
Karen Lease