Hi !

Darren Munt wrote:

> Forgive me if I show my ignorance of FOP internals, but isn't that going to
> convert all text read by getBytes into ISO-8859-1. If that's the case, there
> might be a few complaints from Unicode users (such as myself).

We are using FOP since 0.12 and try now to port our
stuff to a EBCDIC based system, but I'm quite new to the FOP source code.

As I understand you, you have unicode input files, or ?
I'm interested at the output.

At the moment
    string.getBytes()
is used to convert java.lang.Strings to bytes to write them
over a ByteArrayOutputStream into the pdf file.
Problem here is, that the default encoding will be used
by java to convert the internal 2 byte character representation
to 1 byte output. On almost every system under the sun
the standard java encoding is ISO-8859-1.

AFAIK getBytes() is NEVER unicode safe.
AFAI can see there should be NO changes in the behavior
of FOP on any ASCII based system, because java already
uses this encoding scheme.

Are there unicode PDF files ?
Can FOP create unicode PDF files ?

begin:vcard
n:Bernhardt;Markus
tel;cell:0171-5770462
tel;fax:089-420903-20
tel;home:089-6378949
tel;work:089-420903-14
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.swsgmbh.de
org:Software Service Wulf Schupp GmbH;Spieljoch
adr:;;Spieljochstr. 34;München;;81825;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Entwicklungsleiter
note;quoted-printable:[dF]Quisam=0D=0Awww.discordian-Front.de=0D=0AHail Eris !!!=0D=0AHappy Frag !!!