Gregor,

Yes, I'm starting to think your java is broken too. It should at least say something.
I wonder if it could be that you have some other file named java lying around that is
being executed instead of the real java.
In that case, the "fake java" is perhaps waiting on some kind of user input, which
often looks like a hang.

Try the commands  'type java' or 'which java', which should make the shell tell you
where it is finding the command called java.
It's typically in some directory like /usr/lib/jdk.. or jre.
If it's a real java, it should tell you it's version number when you give the command
"java -version".
By the way what flavor of unix or linux are you running and do you know where your JDK
is from? Is the variable "JAVA_HOME" set in your environment?

You were running fop some time ago right? so you must have had a working java at some
point.

We'll track this thing down!