Karen --

I'm attaching a typescript file. Java is hanging on 'java -version'.
I'll try
to go grab a fresh copy from Sun...

On 23 Jul 2001 18:33:40 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Gregor,
>
> Yes, I'm starting to think your java is broken too. It should at least say
>something. I wonder if it could be that you have some other file named java lying
>around that is being executed instead of the real java.
> In that case, the "fake java" is perhaps waiting on some kind of user input, which
>often looks like a hang.
>
> Try the commands  'type java' or 'which java', which should make the shell tell you
>where it is finding the command called java.
> It's typically in some directory like /usr/lib/jdk.. or jre.
> If it's a real java, it should tell you it's version number when you give the
>command "java -version".
> By the way what flavor of unix or linux are you running and do you know where your
>JDK is from? Is the variable "JAVA_HOME" set in your environment?
>
> You were running fop some time ago right? so you must have had a working java at
>some point.
>
> We'll track this thing down!

Regards,

-- Gregor
/                                                                     \
   Gregor N. Purdy                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Focus Research, Inc.                http://www.focusresearch.com/
   8080 Beckett Center Drive #203                   513-860-3570 vox
   West Chester, OH 45069                           513-860-3579 fax

Script started on Mon Jul 23 14:01:42 2001
[gregor@sarek gregor]$ which java
/usr/java/jdk1.3/bin/java
[gregor@sarek gregor]$ java -version

[gregor@sarek gregor]$ # Hit Ctrl-C - apparent hang