Erik

try java-extensions. This help you to write external Java classes directly
callable from your XSL transformation rules.

a simple exmaple :
<xsl:stylesheet
     xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="1.0"
     xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";
     xmlns:e="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Spec/ElementSyntax";
     xmlns:xjava="xalan:://mycompany.util.PrintInfo"
     xmlns:java="http://www.apache.org/xslt/java";
exclude-result-prefixes="java">

<xsl:template match ="TITLE">
  <xsl:variable name="loc"><fo:page-number-citation
ref-id="@id"/></xsl:variable>
  <xsl:variable name="title" select="text()"/>
  <xsl:value-of select="ejava:putValue($loc, $title)"/>
   <fo:block font-size="11pt"

Just select the right place to put such rules in order to detect the start
and the end of your chapters. I suppose you know JDBC to connect java code
to your database.

Good luck.