Thanks for the pointers! I'm reading the articles.
   and

I just joined this list and this solved my fo problem
   http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/05/16/wrestle.html

I was struggling to build a table that displayed a calender of events
for August. I could not get the page break to 'work'. The above article
pointed me in the right direction and we are now the proud owners of a
calender of events for August in pdf.

I find playing with working examples is a great way to learn.

and reading. I have the first two of Elliotte Rusty Harold's XML books.
(Thanks!) Does the XML Bible 2nd Edition contain a lot of new information?

Gary