At 12:07 AM 8/13/01 +0100, Vic wrote:
>side-floats are what I require.  I need to create side notes to the main
>content, I'm currently using list-items to do this.  (In fact Arved Sandstrom
>answered the question I asked about my problem yesterday on comp.text.xml,
>thanks for the help).

Ahhh, that was you. :-) The context was different, obviously - that's why I
didn't realize.

>I'll have a look at the source and docs tomorrow, no doubt I'll have plenty
>of questions then.  Although any tips about where to start would be
>appreciated as I am still very new fo and fop after only recently been
>converted from dsssl (where I came across similar problems with non
>implemented features in jade, it's obviously a sign that I should become
>proactive).

Where to start? Good question. You probably want to get a basic idea of how
FOP formats, starting with the format() method on the Root instance, and
extending down into the layout() methods in the various FOs. It should help
to know that our formatting object tree really is a tree, and that the area
tree that gets built up follows the conceptual area tree in the spec quite
closely.

Once you sort of know what FOP does at a coarse-grained level, I'd recommend
getting stuck into the XSL spec section on fo:float. This will also entail
looking at the CSS spec. We've had a number of discussions about
side-floats; I think the current consensus is that although it would be cool
to have the side-float start at the point where it is referenced in the
normal flow, both specs actually suggest that the side-float must be placed
as high in the current reference area as possible. I'd need to check on this
again, myself.

This is a certain amount of work already. :-) I'll revisit the specs also,
so that once the questions start popping up I can help out. I'm sure that
I'm not the only person who will assist.

While we're at it we may as well consider doing before-floats, too.

Regards,
Arved

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)