On Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:25:01 +0200, Keiron Liddle wrote:

>The particular fonts that are added in FontSetup are all the fonts that are
>always available to Acrobat Reader. These are fonts that come with acrobat.
>Other fonts may be avilable to acrobat on your machine (because you havew a
>particular font installed) but that does not ensure that someone else will
>be able to view the document with that font.

Keiron,

I understand the conservative motivation here. But suppose I'm generating PDFs
for an intranet app (as it happens I am) and have complete control over which
fonts are on the user machines. Well, in that case I do not want
PDFDocumentGraphics2D's constructor looking at textAsShapes and deciding to
instantiate a FontInfo class that uses a FontSetup class that effectively is used to
restrict
which fonts I can use.

>So in particular for the PDFGraphics2D you have two options:
>- use shapes to draw text (makes the file much larger and looks bad in the
>viewer but prints ok)
>- embedd the font using FOP embedding font technique, currently this is not
>implemented for svg text

Where does the FOP embedding font technique get its fonts? Do you have to give FOP a
path to where to find fonts to embed? Or can it get them from Java AWT font calls and
then
serialize them into a format to put in the PDF? Or do you have to put the fonts right
into the
XSL FO document for FOP to find there?