On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Spectron Caribe, Inc. wrote:

> Ok, thanks for the info. One more thing and I'll leave you guys alone. :)
>
> I think that java.awt.Font has almost all the information needed to create a
> /FontDescriptor. Would it be posible to create an XML file using a
> java.awt.Font class? For example.
>
> createXMLFont(java.awt.Font f).
>
> I think it would be useful. If the font found in the Java environment
> (Arial, Times, ...) is found in the system it will use it, if not it will
> use one of the standard fonts.

It has almost all you need, but not all you need. E.g. it's not possible
to determine what kind of font it is (postscript, truetype, etc)

Also, it would be of limited use.

* Using awt fonts would require a peer (as far as I know).
* You can only use one of the predefined encodings (winansi, macroman).
  You can't use other unicode characters as that would require knowledge
  of the glyph indexes in the font.
* You can't be sure that the fonts available to java is available as a
  "system font". In unix environments you can almost be sure that a java
  font is not available as a system font.

Tore