On 29 Aug 2001 13:31:09 +1000, Mark Lillywhite wrote:

> Why not stick the whole distro into a JAR file? Everyone has "jar",
> don't they? (and aren't JAR and ZIP files compatible with each
> other?).
>
> Maybe this is a dumb idea but it seems a bit silly to have platform
> wars when there's a Java standard for archiving. I'm not really sure
> why we don't see this used in more places, but maybe that's why it's a
> dumb idea :)

It's not platform war anymore as any one of the formats can be
unarchived in any one of the platforms of interest.

It's a compression war.  And tar.gz wins for now because its file size
is smaller than zip (and its equivalent, jar).  A few other projects are
starting to use tar.bz2 format already because bzip2 compresses even
more and bunzip2 is readily available for all platforms.

--
Weiqi Gao
[EMAIL PROTECTED]