Erik,

Most of the documents are out of date, due to lack of people to update the
documentation. The general design is still the same as the information
provided on the website.
http://xml.apache.org/fop/architecture.html

This design is proving to be no good when trying to implement more of the
spec. So we are attempting to come up with a new design to layout the
objects. We are in desperate need of developers who can contribute to the
redesign.

All of the rendering can be found in the org.apache.fop.render package but
I suspect you don't mean that type of rendering. This is where the area
tree is rendered to the appropriate output (eg. pdf).