So how hard do you think it would be for a realtive FOP-newbie to write
some kind of extension?

I'm thinking of a few possible hacks:

1) Somehow implement the inverse of "table-omit-header-at-break". Then I
could specify the '<xxx> Continued' piece as the header and simply print
<xxx> as the first row of the table.

2) Add some facility for specifying a different header for every
occurrence after the first. I'd be happy with hard-coding the word
Continued if it was the only easy way.

Any other clever ideas? How hard is it to just stick something like this
in? It seems to me that with all the page-aware capabilites of FOP
(header, static content, keep-together, page-number, widows, orphans
etc.) there ought to be a sneaky way to piggy back this functionality
onto one of them.

Just to be clear, here's what I'm talking about:

My Page Header

<-- other stuff -->

My Table Header
row1
row2
row3

<-- new page -->

My Page Header

My Table Header (Continued)
row4
row5
row6

The block in question doesn't necessarily have to be a table, but it
can't be part of static content. It's nested inside two tables already,
one has a header of varying length (so it can't be part of the static
content).

Like I said, I have no idea how hard it is to go poking around in FOP. I
know enough about PDF to know that I want to stay at the highest level
possible (that's I think somehow suppressing the table header on the
first occurrence may be the best way for me to go). Thanks in advance
for any ideas.

-Matt