XMLSpy 4.1 has FO transformation built in as an option under the XSL menu.
All you have to do is point it to FOP.bat. I guess you could call this a
"visual tool". But I'm going to guess that what the original poster is
looking for is some kind of a WYSIWIG PDF editor that manipulates the
underlying FO? That would be a pretty intense project.

Do you think Adobe will ever implement a built-in fop processor? The Acrobat
plug-in could come to life any time the browser comes across a .fo file,
just like it does now when it sees a .pdf. Any pages that require precise
coloring, layout, pagination, etc. would be candidates for conversion from
html to fo. Definitely some interesting possibilities here. I suppose people
could be doing the same thing now if they have Exchange, but when you can
make little changes through a text editor it's a lot more convenient.

You'd think they'd be all for it since it could drastically increase PDF
viewing on the web. Although I guess it could cut into sales of their
full-version Acrobat (what used to be called Exchange). So what part of it
would they sell? Hmmm. Can even they do this within the licensing rules of
this project?

-Matt