thanks,
with the new version of FOP my example have a size of 3 MB.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Jeremias Maerki [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 20. November 2001 10:47
An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Betreff: Re: PDF size

You're probably working with an older version of FOP. Recent versions
include direct support for embedding JPEG which results in smaller PDF
files.

The files are bigger in your case because the JPEG gets decoded and
compressed pixel by pixel using the Flate algorithm.

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:34:03 +0100 Bolle, Jan-Philipp wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to get small PDF documents with pictures.
> Therefore I try to understand the way how FOP uses pictures, and what
> determines the resulting size of the PDF document..
> As an example, I generated a PDF document with FOP. It contains 20
pictures
> and a few lines of  text.
> The sum of the sizes of the jpeg source pictures amounts to 1,54 MB. The
> generated PDF file size is 4,6 MB.
> In the case of gif the sum of the sizes of the gif source pictures is 2,22
> MB. The generated PDF file size is 3,67 MB.
>
> What kind of format is FOP using internal?
> What is the best way to achieve smaller documents with the same content?
> What makes the PDF so much bigger than the sum of the sizes of raw text
and
> pictures?
>
> cu philipp

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

OUTLINE AG
Fon +41 (41) 317 2020 - Fax +41 (41) 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch