Jim, I've attached the servlet that we use to handle a simlar issue issue to
what you describe. This serlvet handles both HTML and PDF requests and calls
either method based on a parameter in the user's session (which could just
as easily be in the request). Maybe it will help.

http://news.diversebooks.com/article.pl?sid=01/10/08/1947255