> P.S: DON'T USE BACKSLASHES - PLEASE!!! It's a windows thing!!! Use slashes

> in filenames for java !!

Well, were not dealing with files here.
\\ntsrv_200\prn1 is a UNC (http://webopedia.com/TERM/U/UNC.html).
The code snippet below used to work (on older versions of FOP).

   /**
    * Print the PCL directly.
    * (Just to show it works.)
    * (I wouldn't use it for real.)
    *
    * @param driver <code>org.apache.fop.apps.Driver</code>
    */
   public void print( Driver driver ) {
      if( driver == null ) return;

      // Select a printer.
      String printer = (String)JOptionPane.showInputDialog(
         null,
         "Specify a printer",
         "Printer Dialog",
         JOptionPane.QUESTION_MESSAGE,
         null,
         null,
         "\\\\HASRV1\\HHA_LJ5M_01"
      );
      if( printer == null ) return;
      printer = printer.trim();
      if( "".equals(printer)) return;

      // Create an output stream to the printer.
      OutputStream stream = null;
      try {
         stream = new FileOutputStream(printer);
      } catch( FileNotFoundException fnfe ) {
         System.err.println("PclTranslator.print(): FileNotFoundException");
      }
      if( stream == null ) {
         System.err.println("PclTranslator.print(): cannot stream to
"+printer);
         return;
      }

      // Do output.
      driver.setOutputStream(stream);
      try {
         driver.render();
         stream.close();
      } catch( FOPException fe ) {
         fe.printStackTrace();
         return;
      } catch( IOException ioe ) {
         System.err.println("PclTranslator.print(): IOException");
         return;
      }

   } // end print()

Jens Thieler