-------- Message d'origine --------
Objet: Re: Euro sign
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 00:49:45 +0100
De: Martin Stricker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Patrick Andries wrote:

>> Why do I see a bullet instead of a euro sign (EUR), when I simply
>> "compile" the fonts.fo file found in the Fop-0.20-2 distribution
>> (./docs/examples/fo)?
>>
>> I am on Windows NT 2000 Professional, all my standard fonts have thus
>> a euro sign (me thinks).

>You are using the wrong OS and fonts. :-( On Win2k the Euro sign is
>mapped to character code 128 (0x80).

This is the number in win1252 (later versions).

But aren't the fonts accessed through their Unicode value (in the cmap)?
And there, it is 0x20AC...even on Win2k (I just checked Arial in Fontlab).
How are the characters accessed by FOP, through the cmap?

>But according to the ANSI / ISO 8559 standard this character is a non-printable control character.

Yes, this is true.

>The standards compliant solution is to use an ISO 8559-15 font (similar with >8559-1 with the single exc eption that the general currency symbol at >character code 164 (0x164) is now replaced by the Euro symbol).

I believe one should go through the cmap to map the Unicode number to the glyph index.
I believe ISO-8859-15 fonts, if they exist, are (or should be) only fonts with Unicode cmap restricted to the ISO-8859-15 subset of characters.

BTW the euro, is not the only difference between ISO-LATIN-1 and LATIN-9 (8859-15) : see my page (auf Französisch, aber ist das ein Problem?)
it also adds some Finish accented forms and one capital that missed in French (Y¨ = Ÿ, as in L'HAŸ-LES-ROSES a town close to Paris).

> Sorry, I don't know how to actually solve your problem. Try using an ISO >8559-15 font and use character code 164 instead of 128 and see if this

I don't use character 164, I (or better said fonts.fo) use the numeric character reference &#x20AC;.

>solves your problem. Maybe just switsch ing to character code 164 will...

I suppose I could add a new PS font (even Arial) and I try to see whether it works, but I'll do that later when the rest of my form works.

Slowly learning.

Patrick Andries

Tour sur Unicode 3.1, texte complet traduit et mis à jour (mieux que le site en anglais ;-))
Annotations, tous les noms de caractères.
http://hapax.iquebec.com