I had problems with fairly large fo's too.  The following is from the batch
file I wrote that got it to run.  I'm not sure if I need all the flags,
mostly I'm setting the maximum memory size to 200 Megs.

REM set all sorts of flags to make this memory hog run.
java -Xrs -Xmx204800000 -Xfuture -cp "...fop.jar..."
org.apache.fop.apps.Fop %1 %2

Here's what the flags do (java -X)
    -Xmx<size>        set maximum Java heap size
    -Xfuture          enable strictest checks, anticipating future default
    -Xrs              reduce use of OS signals by Java/VM

Hope that helps,

JohnPT

                    fop-dev-return-12827-jthaemlitz=oreillyauto.com@XML.

                    APACHE.ORG                                                 To:
"Apache Mailinglist \(E-Mail\)"

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    01/29/02 07:31 AM                                          cc:

                    Please respond to fop-dev
Subject:     out of memory exception in java ?

hi !

when i want to render my fo-file, like:

Driver driver = new Driver( new InputSource( "FOPTest.fo" ),            new
FileOutputStream( "FOPTest.pdf" ) );
driver.setRenderer( Driver.RENDER_PDF );
driver.run();

after about 45 pages i get an out of memory exception...
anybody know why ?

beside:
when i have a very large table in one pagesequence...
it is rendered to many pages...
and on every page i want to have a different image in the footer
how does this work ?

greetings

Nick Winger

(Software-Developer)