FYI - I still can't get this to work for a relative file path. Since I have
NT dev boxes and Unix QA and Prod, I have to feed the explicit PDF filepath
to the stylesheet as a parameter. I get the filepath form a
environment-level properties file. Still looking for that elusive XSLT
relative filepath if anyone has found it.

Here's our solution if it helps anyone:

<<< XSLT >>>
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
        xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>

 <xsl:param name="pdfImagePath" />

(...)

    <fo:external-graphic
src="{concat($pdfImagePath,'ClinTrialLogoGreenBig.gif')}" />

(...)

<<< Servlet Piece >>>
      transformer.setParameter("pdfImagePath",

getServletConfig().getServletContext().getAttribute("pdfImagePath"));

-Matt