There are number of ways to make Java available across COM, but as far as i
can tell, they all use the local VM that's installed on the machine, and it
needs to be running.  This way, it's compiled into the DLL, along with _all_
of the other classes that are used (from xalan, etc.).  I just d/l'ed the
latest CVS snapshot, and the build breaks on:

    [javac] E:\xml-fop\build\src\org\apache\fop\svg\PDFGraphics2D.java:1196:
nested class org.apache.fop.svg.PDFGraphics2D. PDFGraph
icsConfiguration is an abstract class. It can't be instantiated.
    [javac]         return new PDFGraphicsConfiguration();
    [javac]                ^
    [javac] E:\xml-fop\build\src\org\apache\fop\svg\PDFGraphics2D.java:1203:
nested class org.apache.fop.svg.PDFGraphics2D. PDFGraph
icsConfiguration must be declared abstract. It does not define
java.awt.image.VolatileImage createCompatibleVolatileImage(int, int)
from class java.awt.GraphicsConfiguration.
    [javac]     static class PDFGraphicsConfiguration extends
GraphicsConfiguration {
    [javac]                  ^
    [javac] 2 errors, 1 warning

does anyone know why this is?  I am using all of the latest version of the
dependent libraries, Xalan, Xerces, etc.  I wanted to make sure I could
build the classes before I started the search and destroy mission to find
java.util.HashMap.  Help?

--

David B. Bitton
[EMAIL PROTECTED]