Here's an update, and a potential bug.  The NPE was actually resulting from
an improper transformation of the XML.  The Element object passed in by
Apache SOAP needs to "promoted" to Document object status prior to being
passes to the transform in a DOMSource object.  This is accomplished with
the follow:

    Transformer transformer = tFactory.newTransformer( new StreamSource(
xsl_url ) );

    DocumentBuilderFactory dBuilderFactory =
DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance();
    DocumentBuilder docBuilder = dBuilderFactory.newDocumentBuilder();
    Document doc = docBuilder.newDocument();
    Node newNode = doc.importNode( element, true );
    doc.appendChild( newNode );

    transformer.transform( new DOMSource( doc ), new SAXResult(
driver.getContentHandler() ));

    This produces a nice PDF.  I notice that by doing this, I do not have to
call the run() method, so therefore I'm assuming that this saves a step in
the entire rendering process.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but am I to
believe that the PDF is being rendered as the SAX events are being fired by
the transformer?  By this, it seems like this should save me alot of memory
usage because I won't have to hold the XSL:FO output in an object.

    I am very happy with the way this is turning out.  I promise an article
on it as soon as I'm finished.y

--

David B. Bitton
[EMAIL PROTECTED]