Keiron,

I don't know the nuts and bolts of CVS, but I always assumed that tags
were somehow related to the RCS symbolic name, accessible via $Name$.
 $Name$ has some peculiarities due to the fact that there is not a
unique name attached to the current version; I think it is set in the
output files from the symbolic name under which the file is retrieved.
 I don't know, off hand, what the deault behaviour is.  I can check the
RCS characteristics here.  Do you want to install $Name$ in one of the
CVS files and see what it looks like when retrieved?

Peter