Jens v. Pilgrim wrote:
>    The infinity character (Unicode: ∞ , HTML: ∞ ) is
> rendered correctly by the AWT and Print renderers, but incorrectly by
> the PDF renderer...(I've got a '#' there).

Try <fo:inline font-family="Symbol">&#8734;</fo:inline>

I think it's a problem with the character mapping tables. By
default, FOP uses only a few standard fonts defined by Adobe
for PDF generation, it does not use any Unicode fonts. If you
get a "#", check in which font the glyph is and change to it.

J.Pietschmann