"J.Pietschmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jens v. Pilgrim wrote:
> >    The infinity character (Unicode: &#8734; , HTML: &infin; ) is
> > rendered correctly by the AWT and Print renderers, but incorrectly by
> > the PDF renderer...(I've got a '#' there).
>
> Try <fo:inline font-family="Symbol">&#8734;</fo:inline>
>
> I think it's a problem with the character mapping tables. By
> default, FOP uses only a few standard fonts defined by Adobe
> for PDF generation, it does not use any Unicode fonts. If you
> get a "#", check in which font the glyph is and change to it.

The XSL spec allows the "font-family" to be a comma-separated list of font
families, and for the processor to choose the appropriate font for each
character when a "font-selection-strategy" of "character-by-character" is
given.  Unfortunately neither FOP nor XEP support the
"font-selection-strategy" property, so it is necessary to explicitly use
fo:inline to change the font for special characters.

Another alternative is to embed a TTF font that includes all of the
characters you need.

The docs/examples/fo/fonts.fo file lists all of the characters supported by
each of the default fonts in their standard encodings.

Cheers,
-Peter S. Housel-   [EMAIL PROTECTED]