I can't remember the details but there are certain gui packages which Fop
needs to process the default fonts: if you run it on linux without X-windows
it may well complain

-----Original Message-----
From: John Austin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 12 April 2002 07:36
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Unix and FOP ?

On Thursday 11 April 2002 09:37, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need information the file xsl:fo transformation in UNIX.
> What's I need by uses XSL:FO in UNIX?
> Can I do?

You can use xsl:fo in ANY system that has an implementation of the Java
VM. This includes any reasonable implementation of Unix (AFAIK).

Many people use Cocoon 2 from the Apache project because it provides a
ton of features, but you can use just the Fop program if you wish to.

I use it both ways and have also used it from XML Spy.

In Cocoon 2 you can run XSL transformations to produce an XSL:FO
document and render this to one of a number of formats such as PDF, PS
and RTF using the FopSerializer.

I have also used Fop driven by a shell script. The memory footprint is
smaller but you have to cart Fop around with you. From Cocoon, you can
generate fancy-pants documents over the network.

Cocoon has a much steeper and lengthy learning curve. Fop is much
smaller and comes with lots of examples.

---