Self-followup:

> Peter B. West wrote:
> > These cover such categories as
> > Case, Numeric Value, Dashes, Line Breaking and Spaces.

I found them online, the relevant URLs appear to be
 http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/LineBreak.txt
 http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/extracted/DerivedLineBreak.txt
and for the interpretation of the codes
 http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/PropertyValueAliases.txt
(the lb section)
I still think this area is somewhat unintuitive to browse.
Does somebody know where there is a more elaborate explanation
of the values used there, in particular whether there is a
formal description how they are supposed to influence the
actual line breaking? I don't want to rely on intuition here,
it fails me much to often...

> Slightly related question: FOP appears to render the U+00A0 non
> breaking space always at full space width. Shouldn't the space
> also be used for justification purposes? There are, after all,
> non breaking spaces with a definite width available.

Ooops, major blunder. I should check before posting. While
there is a variety of spaces at U+2000 and following code
points, as well as various additional spaces for some scripts,
there is only the common U+00A0 non-breaking space, U+2007
figure space (whatever this is) and U+202F narrow non-breaking
space available. This begs the question: how should arbitrary
non-breaking spaces be expressed in XSLFO, and how often does
this issue arise? I vaguely remember that the most often arising
use case in common engliish was the space after an abbreviated
title, and this is only available for space justification at the
same level of fine tuning as character spacing (and it should be
a slightly less wide than a full width space).

Well, if we are at this, another typographical nastyness which
comes to mind is an indented initial. This bothers me for quite
some time now: How should this be expressed in XSLFO? In HTML, a
floating table around the letter can be used, but  this seems
awkward and does not account for fine tuning like the outdent to
account for serifs. Also, the automatic displacement of the next
lines could be a problem. I think there is also a float necessary
in XSLFO, perhaps with some adjustments to the width and with
relative positioning for fine tuning.

J.Pietschmann