Patrick Andries wrote:
>>This begs the question: how should arbitrary
>>non-breaking spaces be expressed in XSLFO, and how often does
>>this issue arise?
> Well, in fine French typography, this occurs often. Semicolon, question
> marks and exclanation marks, for instance, should be preceded by a fine
> non-breaking space while colon and closing guillemet ( ) should be
> preceded by a larger non-breaking space. I believe Unicode does not
> distinguish between these two cases, its customary answer would be that
> this is a higher protocol's duty : Unicode only marks a semantic
> function (non-breaking space) not its appearance. In other words, it's
> FO's problem ?

This is my understanding. There is already a certain proliferation
of spaces, and the Unicoders quite explicitely stated they feel
mainly responsible for stuff resulting in glyphs and want to
support control characters, separators and spaces only to the
extent necessary for compatibility and to deal with the cases
which arise most often. I think they would like if there were
a fo:word :-)
Well, arbitrary spaces can be achived in XSLFO by using space-start
on a fo:inline. Attaching a keep-with-previous="always" should make
it non-breaking in my understanding, for example
  <fo:block>Mr. <fo:inline space-start="0.4en"
    keep-with-previous="always">Bean</fo:inline><fo:block>
Seems to be an awful lot to write for a sort of fine tuning effect
(most readers wouldn't appreciate it, or even take notice).
Well, current FOP ignores both properties on fo:inline anyway.

Ah, again:
  <fo:block>Mozi<fo:inline space-start="0.4en">lla</fo:inline><fo:block>
hopefully never breaks in the middle unless permitted by hyphenation,
it's just a word with a gap. Is this correct?

J.Pietschmann